Vacancy Announcement open to internal and external candidates
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 17 October 2021
Position Title: National Finance and Budget Officer
Contract type/duration: One Year Fix Term (OYFT)
Contract duration: 12 months, renewable
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: VN 48-09/21 – extension of internal vacancy notice
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - the UN Migration Agency - is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM has been present in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) since 1992, starting out in the basement of Koševo Hospital, where IOM organized medical evacuations for war-wounded individuals who could not be treated locally. Following the end of the war, IOM, together with the international community, continued to assist population of BiH in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future. Today, with a focus on building the capacity of the BiH government to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in a wide range of migration related areas.
Under the overall guidance of the Sub-Regional Coordinator for the Western Balkans and the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer, the National Finance and Budget officer will be responsible and accountable for overseeing the procurement and logistics, finance and administration and human resources units of the programme.
- Directly supervise the finance assistants in charge of project and mission budgets. Oversee the monthly and long term projectization and common staff and office costs coverage; financial expenditure and accountability; undertake financial analysis of project in accordance with established IOM regulations and procedures.
- Ensure coordination with IOM Mission Finance and the Programme Support Unit units to ensure all costs, especially staff and office costs are appropriately covered in the development of projects and programmes.
- Coordinate, review and prepare budget revision and financial reports for donor and financial analysis of project in accordance with IOM and donor reporting requirements.
- Oversee budget control process and analyse variances between budget and actual expenditures.
- Produce and regularly update budget instructions and procedures in order to complement or to adapt the general instructions of IOM.
- Identify financial risks and bottlenecks with a view to propose the most appropriate way forward.
- Monitor and work with implementing partners, control of financial statements and reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures in line with donor reports compilation and in coordination with programme colleagues.
- Act as IOM BiH BOS focal point in coordination with the dedicated team.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
All duties and responsibilities will be carried out in strict adherence to IOM policies and guidelines, including those related to confidentiality and data protection.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education: Completed university degree from an accredited academic institution in Accounting or Business Administration and 2 years of relevant working experience; or Master’s Degree with no working experience
- Minimum two years of relevant professional experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting.
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable;
- Audit experience highly regarded.
- Experience in IOM administrative and financial management, budget monitoring, cash management and internal control procedures.
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization; and,
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming.
- Knowledge of financial rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
Language(s): Fluent English and one of the three languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (IOM PHF- Personal History Form and motivation letter ) electronically by email to: email@example.com. Please be advised that only attached PHF will be taken into consideration and processed.
Internal candidates are to apply by sending Internal Application Form in attachment.
Please note that only the attached IOM PHF will be considered.
Subject: VN 48-09/21
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Applications must be received by 17 October 2021.
Posting period: 27 September 2021 – 17 October 2021
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
For all IOM vacancies, applications form qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
Vacancy is open to candidates residing in the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country which is within commuting distance of the duty station. Candidates applying from another location outside commuting distance will be considered locally recruited and will not be eligible for allowances or benefits available to eligible internationally-recruited staff. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit in possession of time of recruitment, as applicable.