Vacancy Announcement open to internal and external candidates
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 27 September 2021
Position Title: Migration Response Coordinator
Contract type/duration: One Year Fix Term (OYFT)
Contract duration: 12 months, renewable
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: VN 47-09/21
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - the UN Migration Agency - is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM has been present in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) since 1992, starting out in the basement of Koševo Hospital, where IOM organized medical evacuations for war-wounded individuals who could not be treated locally. Following the end of the war, IOM, together with the international community, continued to assist population of BiH in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future. Today, with a focus on building the capacity of the BiH government to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in a wide range of migration related areas.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the direct supervision by the Chief of Mission (CoM) the incumbent will coordinate the implementation of activities within the emergency migrant response in Bosnia and Herzegovina and be in charge of the mobility and emergency response pillar of the IOM mission strategy.
- Manage the overall implementation of all migrant and displacement emergency response project activities in Bosnia and Herzegovina, in a timely manner and be responsible for its administrative and technical oversight in line with IOM policies and practices as well as donor requirements.
- Coordinate with all humanitarian partners in the country (including national and international NGOs, the Red Cross and other international organizations), as well as with national authorities and local structures, and facilitate synergy and harmonization.
- Coordinate preparation of donor and other reports and ensure proper information exchange on all operational aspects of the project between IOM, the donor, and other stakeholders. Establish an internal reporting system, monthly updates, and regular progress reports and monitor daily the availability of resources, progress toward project indicators, project quality and challenges.
- Participate regularly in inter-agency fora (e.g. national inter-agency and other fora etc.) and monitor the protection needs of mobile populations as well as communities affected by mobility and their systematic reporting and resolution.
- Provide quality advice to CoM on all aspects of the Operations within the emergency response on migration crisis portfolio;
- Coordinate day to day operations with IOM field locations and provide the overall support for the smooth running of the operations
- Constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, quick re-adjustment of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment;
- Ensures compliance of operations with IOM rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets, and monitoring achievement of results in areas of operation;
- Assist CoM in creating synergies between the on-going activities and identifies of the needs in the field;
- Provide advice to the field locations in any aspect of the emergency operations;
- Liaise and maintain a close working relationship with emergency operations stakeholders and authorities at all levels ;
- Organize and participate in regular meetings with the stakeholders to ensure their buy-in for the IOM emergency response activities based on the participatory and inclusive working methodology;
- Continuously assess the stakeholder needs to ensure CoM decisions are based on the emergency response priorities;
- Acts as a trouble-shooter for field locations problems related to the emergency assistance response;
- Contribute to the problem-solving discussions with the emergency programme management team;
- Regularly updates CoM and the senior management on the activities and decisions taken that have an impact on the rest of the IOM activities;
- Train newly employed IOM staff on IOM Emergency response operational procedures;
- Communicate with appropriate IOM units and field offices, including with with the RO and the other units in the mission and sub-offices to ensure synergies and coordination;
- Undertake duty travel related to project assessments and implementation, liaison with counterparts and problem solving.
All duties and responsibilities will be carried out in strict adherence to IOM policies and guidelines, including those related to confidentiality and data protection.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education: Master’s Degree in Political, Social Science, Law or International Relations or in a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant working experience; or Bachelor’s Degree in the above filed with seven years of relevant working experience
- Experience on migration and human rights, migrant rights, irregular migration and human trafficking;
- Experience in project development and management;
- Experience in working and liasing with Government authorities, other national/international institutions (including EU institutions, UN agencies and civil society) and donors;
- Familiarity with EU projects and procedures and civil society actors is an advantage.
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations;
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners;
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office and/or regional objectives;
- Correctly frames migration issues within their regional, global, and political context.
- Good communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Knowledge and experience in setting priorities, in devising policies and strategies as well as in conducting advocacy
- Knowledgeable using MS Office and strong computer literacy;
Language(s): Fluent English and one of the three languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian)
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (IOM PHF- Personal History Form and motivation letter ) electronically by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be advised that only attached PHF will be taken into consideration and processed.
Internal candidates are to apply by sending Internal Application Form in attachment.
Please note that only the attached IOM PHF will be considered.
Subject: VN 47-09/21
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Applications must be received by 27 September 2021.
Posting period: 14 September 2021 – 27 September 2021
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
For all IOM vacancies, applications form qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
Vacancy is open to candidates residing in the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country which is within commuting distance of the duty station. Candidates applying from another location outside commuting distance will be considered locally recruited and will not be eligible for allowances or benefits available to eligible internationally-recruited staff. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station and work permit in possession of time of recruitment, as applicable.