Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 18 August 2019
Position Title: Project Assistant (2 positions)
Contract type: SST UG
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: SVN 02-08-19
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - the UN Migration Agency - is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM has been present in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) since 1992, starting out in the basement of Koševo Hospital, where IOM organized medical evacuations for war-wounded individuals who could not be treated locally. Following the end of the war, IOM, together with the international community, continued to assist population of BiH in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future. Today, with a focus on building the capacity of the BiH government to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in a wide range of migration related areas.
- Assist in the management and implementation of the activities related to the overall project within specific project components;
- Assisting in monitoring and evaluation of workshops organised on various topics related to the prevention of violent extremism and enhancement of soft skills in coordination with M&E Officer;
- Assist in the preparation, planning and organization of specific trainings, coordination meetings of facilitators, trainers and other relevant events;
- Manage the logistics of and coordinate content development for meetings, conferences, trainings, and other project-related events;
- Prepare Purchase Request Form (PRF) and ensure that all necessary information concerning specifications, justifications, WBS and expected delivery dates are correct;
- Prepare Payment Request (PR) and follow-up with the Finance Unit;
- Keep regular contact with vendors regarding prices, product availability, and timely delivery of goods and services;
- Arrange meetings between local stakeholders such as municipal authorities, social welfare centers, schools, project beneficiaries and the project team when required;
- Assist in monitoring the implementation of activities to achieve project outputs and outcomes, and expenditures in accordance to the budget;
- Assist in the preparation of the presentations and regular reports on the project activities, prepare briefings and background notes, as required;
- Provide administrative and logistic support required for the successful implementation of project activities;
- Prepare and review texts related to Project/Programme achievements for the purpose of public information and social media activities in coordination with the communication officer and according to the communication strategy;
- Assist with drafting of reports and other documents in both English and BSC languages, including translation, when required; and
- Perform other duties as assigned .
All duties and responsibilities will be carried out in strict adherence to IOM policies and guidelines, including those related to confidentiality and data protection. (optional as this is already part of the mandatory document to be signed by incoming staff)
Required Qualifications and Experience
University degree in law, social sciences, human rights or other related fields is favoured, with at least one year of relevant work experience, or high-school diploma with minimum 3 years of working experience.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding in the field of prevention of violent extremism;
- Understanding of issues young persons in BiH are facing, also related to the new phenomena’s of radicalization and violent extremism, is an advantage
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of the gender perspectives in different areas of work of the IOM;
- Knowledge of the social, political, and economic situation in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Good organizational, time management and facilitation skills
- Experience on preparation of written reports in an accurate and concise manner
- Strong communication, presentation, and coordination skills;
- Proficiency in computer applications, such as MS Office
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Valid driving license and possession of a personal vehicle
- Willingness and ability to conduct travel across the country.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (IOM PHF -Personal History form and motivation letter ) electronically by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Internal candidates are to apply by using Internal Application Form
Please note that for external candidates only IOM PHF will be considered.
Subject: SVN 02-08-19 Project Assistant
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Applications must be received by 18 August 2019.
Posting period: 05 August 2019 – 18 August 2019
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancy is open to candidates residing in the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country which is within commuting distance of the duty station. Candidates applying from another location outside commuting distance will be considered locally recruited and will not be eligible for allowances or benefits available to eligible internationally-recruited staff. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting and outside commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.