Open to Internal and External Candidates
Duty Station: Sarajevo
Application Deadline: 16th December 2019
Position Title: Finance Assistant
Contract type: Consultancy Contract
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and local languages in BiH
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: 01-12-19
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is implementing a program to prevent violent extremism. The program aims to reduce the threat of violent extremism (VE) in BiH and counter extremist efforts to deepen or exploit community tensions. To achieve these objectives, Bosnia and Herzegovina Resilience Initiative (BHRI) designs and implements small-grant activities through a process-oriented, community driven approach that emphasizes project processes.
Under the overall guidance of the Program Manager and the direct supervision of the Senior Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant will be responsible and accountable for reviewing financial documents submitted by BHRI grantees and supporting BHRI’s Admin/Finance unit.
- Review and check validity of all invoices submitted by grantees and review their financial reports to ensure timely disbursement of payments
- Work closely with Project Advisors to ensure that grantees receive timely feedback on missing or incorrect financial documents that they submit
- Run the BHRI program’s bookkeeping through the SAP/Prism software in line with IOM’s accounting and financial rules and regulations.
- Maintaining safe processing of all finance related records, i.e. photocopying, mailing and scanning
- Maintain financial records and monitoring system of BHRI activities in order to record and reconcile payments, incomes, balances, statements and other data.
- Select and enter data from a wide variety of documents, verifying correctness and accuracy by checking sources and make necessary calculations and adjustment if needed.
- Ensure timely preparation and execution of BHRI program vouchers (payment, receipt and non-cash) and other financial documentation/transactions such as they are proceeded in a correct and efficient manner.
- Verify that the supporting documentation attached to payments is sufficient and follow up on the documents/processes in case the requirements are not followed.
- Verify invoices and ascertain that the goods (equipment, supplies) or services they refer to were duly received or provided, are eligible for the grant and in accordance with implementation plan before proceeding with payment request.
- Maintaining an efficient filing system for invoices/financial documentation.
- Assist the Grants and M&E units in the activity financial reconciliation and closure process
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed university degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Economy, Accounting or Business Administration with 1 year of experience or
- Relevant High School education with 3 years of experience
- Knowledge of accounting software such as SAP an advantage
- Excellent computer literacy in MS Office.
- English (Fluent)
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning;
- Communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Respects diversity;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation.
How to apply
Internal candidates are to apply by using Internal Application Form.
Subject: 01-12-19 Finance Assistant
Please note that for external candidates only IOM PHF will be considered.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Additional documents, in line with the local laws, will be requested by the successful candidate upon finalization of the selection process.
Applications must be received by 16 December 2019.
Posting period: 02 December – 16 December 2019
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.