Consultant: Data Analyst
Duty Station: Home-Based
Position Title: Data Analyst
Type of Appointment: Short-term Consultant
Duration: 3 months
Reference Code: VN 03-10/17
Application Deadline: 22 October 2017
This consultancy will take place within the context of the project “Enhancing Counter Trafficking in Crisis in the Western Balkans”, funded by the U.S. State Department, Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons (J/TIP)
The project Enhancing Counter Trafficking in Crisis in the Western Balkans aims to enhance counter-trafficking efforts through strengthening capacities and mechanisms for victim screening and identification, as well as raise awareness of trafficking in persons’ risk factors amongst vulnerable populations within crisis situations. IOM is looking for an expert to support development of an Analytical Report to contribute to the evidence base of new Trafficking in Persons (TIP) trends in the Western Balkans. On the basis of the recommended crisis-context TIP indicators and other recommendations developed alongside the Analytical Report with feedback from the National Anti-Trafficking Coordinators in the Western Balkans region, the project will support efforts to incorporate these recommendations into existing national identification and referral mechanisms, including, where possible, existing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will:
- Support all data collection operations in relation to the implementation of the Enhancing Counter Trafficking in Crisis in the Western Balkans project
- Collect and analyse data collected throughout the implementation of the project, including data relevant to project indicators and reporting
- The analysis of the assessment data received from the team doing the ongoing assessment and IOM Missions in the Western Balkans
- Support the development of the Analytical Report as evidence of the new Trafficking in Persons (TIP) trends
- Capturing and storing of the data relevant to the Project
- Produce written outputs and various publishing material such as statistical overviews (i.e. Graphic Analysis), reports, analysis, inputs to publications, sections of reports, studies, etc.
- Establish a mechanism with the concerned countries across the Western Balkans and ensure dissemination of information gathered through the Project with relevant counterparts
- Coordinate the data collection with other on-going data collection activities in the region
- Analyse raw trafficking data collected by IOM through different initiatives to extract key information and trends relevant to ongoing project activities and regularly update available trafficking info (DTM etc.)
- Assist in the regular maintenance of information related to ongoing regional initiatives, particularly those related to trafficking
- Ensure that data gathered through the analytical report remains updated after initial research/assessment period is completed and that changes in relevant trend are captured
- Perform such duties as may be assigned
NOTE: Detailed timeline in Terms of Reference
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Demonstrates commitment, efficiency, and flexibility.
- Strong and demonstrable knowledge in migration and/or humanitarian issues;
- Excellent writing, communication and analytical skills;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds under tight deadlines;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Excellent level of computer literacy;
- Knowledge of and experience in using data base and data analysis programmes (such as Ko-Bo and STATA) would be considered as an asset
Required Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree from an accredited academic institution in a field of study related to data analysis, statistics, social science research, migration and/or other relevant field, or the equivalent combination of humanitarian work experience in a related area.
- Experience in data collection activities and data analysis in particular in the field of Counter Trafficking and Migration Management and/or similar assessment and information management activities;
- Advanced experience in preparation of compilation reports and analytical documents;
- Excellent communication skills in English (oral and written).
- Knowledge of local languages spoken in the Western Balkan will be considered as advantageous.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (including their CV and motivation letter) electronically by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or in a sealed envelope to the following address:
INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR MIGRATION
UN Common House
Zmaja od bosne bb
Applications must be received by 22 October 2017
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Posting period: From 07.10.2017 to 22.10.2017