Position title: Labour Migration Project, Researcher on Drivers of emigration of Health and Information and Communication (ICT) professionals from Bosnia and Herzegovina (National)
Duty station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Type of appointment: Short-term consultancy
Estimated start date: as soon as possible
Closing date: 16 August 2020 (Midnight CET)
Established in 1951, International Organisation for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The overall objective of the Labour Migration Project is to contribute to the Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) Government’s efforts to improve migration governance and development of evidence-based policies related to the migration of healthcare and ICT professionals.
This will be achieved by gathering evidence on the scope, drivers and impact of the emigration of women and men working in the healthcare and ICT sectors from BiH, making these findings available and providing recommendations to national authorities on how to address the challenges deriving from the situation. Concretely, the project will support national authorities in BiH to map migration flows from BiH, looking specifically at the emigration of healthcare and ICT professionals, establish the scope and emerging trends of these migration flows, distinguish different trends between genders, and develop a typology of female and male professionals who migrate and/or are prone to migrate.
The project will also help to better understand and estimate a short-term and long-term consequences of the emigration of healthcare and ICT professionals at the national, local and potentially household/individual levels and will propose a series of policy and programmatic recommendations to address key challenges and negative impacts of the high rates of emigration, including gender-specific negative impacts such as lack of care arrangements of families left behind.
To implement this project and ensure its sustainability, IOM will work in close coordination with country authorities and other government and non-government stakeholders, including the private sector, relevant to the fields of labour migration, labour market and economic development, healthcare issues and ICT. Moreover, within the framework of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), IOM will share information and coordinate project activities with relevant UN Agencies and other International Development partners.
The main objective of consultancy is provision of expert advice to IOM Labour Migration Project Team in conducting the research on drivers of emigration of health and ICT professionals from BiH. This research is integral part of study on the scale, drivers and impact of the emigration of healthcare and ICT professionals from BiH.
CORE FUNCTIONS / RESPONSIBILITIES:
The consultant will:
1. Identify the most recent surveys and reports on labour migration from BH, with focus on emigration of health and ICT professionals from BiH, and conduct a desk review of the relevant documents
2. Conduct a desk review on current (inter)national legislation and policies framework focusing on insight on how those may facilitate or impede emigration of health and ICT professionals from BiH
3. Conduct interviews with:
- 20 government (state, entity, regional and local) representatives
- 24 professionals (12 health and 12 ICT sector employees)
- 12 recent graduates of health and ICT studies
- 12 individuals intending to migrate (selected from a list of applicants to the bilateral employment program(s))
- 12 health and ICT employers
- 6 health and ICT experts
4. If required, reflect upon and implement protective measures from exposure and infection with COVID-19 into field work design, identifying various alternatives to face-to-face communications for conducting effective interviews
5. Develop a research report on drivers of emigration of health and ICT professionals from BiH, to be incorporated into overall research report
6. Engage with IOM Labour Migration Project Team to attend technical meetings with partner organizations from the public and private sector and ensure that their perspective is shared and informs the research work
7. Closely collaborate with consultants engaged on the analysis of scale and impact of emigration of healthcare and ICT professionals from BiH to ensure proper coordination of activities and efficient use of project resources
The implementation of the tasks set will lead to the following deliverables:
- Data collection instruments
- Research action plan
- Report on Drivers of emigration of health and ICT professionals from BiH
Dates for each deliverable will be agreed upon with IOM prior to signing the contract.
TIMEFRAME OF THE CONSULTANCY:
Overall duration of the consultancy 4 months and will take place in the period from 31 August 2020 – 31 December 2020, during which period the consultant will work for a maximum of 25 consultancy days.
The Expert will provide IOM with regular update on the progress of the assignment. All outputs of the assignments shall be conditioned by IOM approval. In the technical proposal drafted by the applicant, scope and timing of progress updates should be clearly outlined.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Advanced degree in Public Administration, Economics, Development Studies or social sciences or related field is mandatory
- At least five years of relevant research experience in international organizations, government agencies, and/ or private sector organizations
- Experience in designing and implementing similar studies with proven record on conducting administrative data desk reviews, analyses and interviews
- Experience in development and production of high-quality research reports
- Demonstrated excellent analytical, writing and editing skills
- Experience in area of migration with specific experience in labour migration is considered asset
- Demonstrates excellent writing skills, and strong communications and presentation skills
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge required to meet responsibilities and post requirements with excellence
- Demonstrates the ability to produce high quality results
- Demonstrate excellent research, reporting and analytical skills
- Knowledge of the use statistical software
- Demonstrates leadership and coordination skills
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills and proven ability to work in a multi-cultural setting
- and teams with diversity of background and skills
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills, and ability to meet deadlines and to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently
- Proficiency in one official language of the country is a requirement
- Professional working proficiency in English (verbal and written) is a requirement
LOCATION AND TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS:
The expert is expected to work from home with possible travel to various locations for interviews as per preliminary agreement and approval of the IOM project manager. All related expenses of accommodation, meals, DSA and travel will be borne by the organization if specifically authorized by the project manager and in accordance with IOM rules.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are kindly requested to submit:
- CV demonstrating that candidate is qualified to perform requested services including to a minimum a clear and short description of relevant experience in conducting similar assignments in past and possession of appropriate skills. CV should be no longer than 2 pages
- One-page cover letter indicating why candidate is the best fit for this position
- One-page consultancy methodology proposal, including timing for delivery of indicated deliverables, availability and expected consultancy fee
Documentation is to be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com with the subject “Labour Migration Project- Researcher Vacancy, Drivers of emigration of Health and ICT professionals from BiH” by 16 August 2020 (Midnight CET). Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please, note that this is only short-term consultancy opportunity. IOM encourages applications from qualified female applicants.