Vacancy Announcement - CANCELLED
Duty Station: Zivinice, Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: CANCELLED
Position Title: Migrant Assistant
Contract type: SST
Reference Code: SVN 04-11/19
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - the UN Migration Agency - is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM has been present in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) since 1992, starting out in the basement of Koševo Hospital, where IOM organized medical evacuations for war-wounded individuals who could not be treated locally. Following the end of the war, IOM, together with the international community, continued to assist population of BiH in rebuilding their lives and working for a better future. Today, with a focus on building the capacity of the BiH government to manage migration, IOM is working with a wide range of governmental and non-governmental partners in a wide range of migration related areas.
Under the direct supervision of the Team Leader and CCMM Manager and the overall supervision of the Emergency Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring the protection to, and assistance of, migrants/refugees in the Tuzla area.
S/he will be responsible and accountable for coordinating with government counterparts to ensure the re-registration, screening, and transport of all migrants/refugees, support the Service for Foreigners Affairs in the operation in Tuzla Canton, and in the identification, screening, and referral of migrants and asylum seekers to adequate and appropriate services:
- Under the direct supervision of the Team Leader, and in coordination with relevant authorities within the Service for Foreigners Affairs, migrant assistants will be responsible for facilitating the registration and re-registration of migrants without status.
- Facilitate the day-to-day operation in Tuzla area run by the Service for Foreigners Affairs (SFA)in order to address the needs of migrants in vulnerable situations accommodated at the centers.
- Observe, monitor, and contribute to the screening of migrants and asylum seekers and ensure the referral of migrants in vulnerable situations, particularly potential victims of trafficking, exploitation and abuse, to appropriate and adequate protection services.
- Provide safe transportation to migrants in vulnerable situations to services and accommodation locations if requested by SFA.
- Implement, at the request of the Team Leader, flow monitoring surveys to collect relevant migration-related data to be available through the IOM Displacement Tracking Matrix.
- Monitor, on an ongoing basis, shifting migration trends, particularly related to migrant vulnerabilities and assistance needs.
- Provide regular reporting on implemented assistance and other activities to the Team Leader, including written number and type of assistance provided.
- Coordinate with all actors that provide assistance to migrants and asylum seekers, including institutions, NGOs, and International Organizations present on the field.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
All duties and responsibilities will be carried out in strict adherence to IOM policies and guidelines, including those related to confidentiality and data protection. (optional as this is already part of the mandatory document to be signed by incoming staff)
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Education: University Degree in Law, Social Work or Psychology with minimum 2 (two) years of professional experience, or;
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with 4 (four) years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience: Work experience in social work, assistance of vulnerable populations, or case management scenarios;
- Experience in working with foreign nationals, irregular migrants, trafficked persons, children, and/or other vulnerable populations.
- Experience in counselling, networking, and ensuring access to services.
Language(s): English and one of the three languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina (Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian)
- Working knowledge of one of the following languages: Farsi, Arabic, Kurdish, Pashto, Dari, Urdu, Punjabi, Turkish would be of advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply - CANCELLED
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (IOM PHF- Personal History Form and motivation letter ) electronically by email to: email@example.com.
Internal candidates are to apply by sending Internal Application Form (download here)
Please note that only IOM PHF will be considered.
Subject: SVN 04-11/19 Migrant Assistant
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancy is open to candidates residing in the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country which is within commuting distance of the duty station. Candidates applying from another location outside commuting distance will be considered locally recruited and will not be eligible for allowances or benefits available to eligible internationally-recruited staff. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting and outside commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.