Open to Internal and External Candidates
Duty Station: Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 19 March 2019
Position Title: Finance assistant
Languages Required: English (fluent), B/S/C (fluent)
Starting Date: CANCELED
Reference Code: VN 02-03-19
Duration of Initial Contract: Three (3) months with possibility of extension
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission(COM) of IOM Bosnia and Herzegovina and the direct supervision of the RMO and Senior finance assistant, the successful
Candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day financial transactions, including budget and administrative functions of the mission in compliance with IOM financial rules and regulations.
- Assist the senior finance assistant in monitoring and overseeing the financial management of activities of the mission’s program activities in close coordination with the RMO.
- Review payment requests and its supporting documents for compliance with IOM financial rules and regulations.
- Preparation and verification of payments and receipts voucher and ensure that process for signature from the authorized signatories are followed;
- Assist the senior finance assist with analyzing and accurately maintain relevant General Ledger Accounts and initiate corrective action as necessary;
- Assist in the monthly financial closure of accounts, and ensure that hardcopies of financial reports are sent to RAS before the deadline;
- Assist in ensuring that IOM financial regulations are correctly applied on all financial transactions of the mission;
- Strengthen internal controls by documenting and streamlining approval processes including control of accounts, control of cash management. Facilitate and support knowledge building and sharing in finance/accounting.
- Prepare accounting reports, financial reports and other reports as required.
- Assist in the Processing of bank reconciliation’s for all IOM Bank Accounts;
- Assist in clearing of debtor/creditors accounts in a timely manner and review all other outstanding financial obligations;
- Assist in the posting of payroll to accounting
- Encode financial transaction in PRISM when required
- Assist in the project activation process , including but not limited to budget creation (BNP) and its supporting documents
- Assist in creating vendor accounts in PRISM
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education & Experience
- University degree in Finance, Accounting, Public Administration preferable or secondary school diploma with a minimum of four years of relevant professional experience.
- The use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based systems.
- Experience with SAP a distinct advantage.
- Audit experience highly regarded
- Knowledge or certification in international Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) highly desirable.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (CV, motivation letter and filled out IOM Personal History Form) electronically by email to: email@example.com.
Please note that only IOM PHP will be considered.
Subject: VN 02-03-19 Finance assistant
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Additional documents, in line with the local laws, will be requested by the successful candidate upon finalization of the selection process.
Applications must be received by 19 March 2019
Posting period: 06 March – 19 March 2019