Open to Internal and External Candidates
Duty Station: Sarajevo (one position) and Banja Luka (one position), Bosnia and Herzegovina
Application Deadline: 18 August 2018
Position Title: Project Officer/Area Development Officer (Bosnia and Herzegovina Resilience Initiative (BHRI))
Languages Required: Excellent command of English and local languages in BiH
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Reference Code: VN 01-08-18
Duration and type of Initial Contract: SST with possibility of extension
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The Bosnia & Herzegovina Resilience Initiative (BHRI) is funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). The overall objective of the program is to reduce the threat of radicalization and violent extremism in BiH and counter extremist efforts to deepen or exploit communal tensions. Through BHRI, IOM seeks to empower young people to resist recruitment, strengthen communities to better withstand radical influences, improve how towns and cities respond to extremist threats and reduce the likelihood of violence. To achieve these objectives, BHRI designs and implements small-grant activities through a process-oriented, community driven approach that emphasizes project processes. The implementation of the program will be closely coordinated with USAID.
Under the overall guidance of the Program Manager/Chief of Party for the Bosnia & Herzegovina Resilience Initiative (BHRI) and the direct supervision of the Senior Field Coordinator, the Project Officer/Area Development Officer will be responsible and accountable for the planning, coordination, development, implementation and overall management of activities in his/her assigned area of responsibility, including outreach and coordination with local authorities, communities and local partners.
- Responsible for overall grant development and implementation process in assigned area of responsibility, including the supervision of field operations assistants and/or community monitors
- Provide inputs to the program management on programmatic strategy including where to focus program resources
- Take the lead to develop small grant activities that respond to the program strategy, emerging opportunities, evolving priorities and expectations in programs areas of operation, for program senior management and donor discussion and donor approval;
- Draft and prepare all necessary documentation required for the grant submission process including proper completion of all sections of the grant development templates and program database, ensuring that activity descriptions align with program goals, strategic objectives and theories of change, and that budgets align with proposed activities
- Attend grant development meetings and present new grant ideas to senior management; populate the grant development tracker
- Liaise closely with the field operation assistants and logistics assistants to ensure timely implementation and monitoring of all grant activities in area of responsibility
- Represent their grants team at the weekly Activity Implementation Meeting (AIM) and present grant updates to Senior Management. Ensure follow up of agreed action points in support of timely and efficient implementation
- Track all grant activities in area of responsibility using existing program tools to ensure timely grant development, implementation and completion/closure
- Assist in developing; and coordinate and implement methodologies for engaging government entities and local communities on an on-going basis for project identification and implementation
- Work with grant assistants to ensure the timely submission of weekly grant activity notes to the Programme Development Officer (PDO)
- Work closely with the M&E team in monitoring and evaluating grants during implementation and once the grant activities are completed, and to ensure that lessons learned are incorporated into future activities
- Represent the program at local level in various forums and inter-agency gatherings in the region in coordination with the PM;
- Undertake regular travel to identify, develop and/or manage potential and current programming opportunities;
- Provide program management with ongoing assessment and anticipation of political events, including their potential impact on the program and activities
- Provide inputs to the PM and PDO and share information on programming trends and impact, lessons learned and best practices within the BHRI programme;
- Ensure that weekly and monthly targets for grant commitment and disbursement are met in area of responsibility;
- Provide weekly updates to the Reporting officer for inclusion in BHRI’s weekly report
- Perform any other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed university degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or related field
Minimum 5 years of relevant experience, such as development and implementation of projects, community organization, media/communications, political activism, research initiatives, or other efforts to improve and strengthen communities in BiH.
Experience leading or managing projects; developing creative new initiatives or small activities; managing staff; coordinating with a wide range of stakeholders; managing staff; and prior work on issues of radicalization or violent extremism. Fluency in English and one of the local languages used in BiH;
- Excellent computer literacy in MS Office.
- Holds a valid driving license;
- Willingness and ability to conduct travel across the country.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning;
- Communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application (including their CV and motivation letter) electronically by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: VN 01-08-18 Project Officer/Area Development Officer (Bosnia and Herzegovina Resilience Initiative (BHRI))
International applicants are obliged to provide all documentation required as per the law on work of BH for foreign citizens.
Applications must be received by 18 August 2018 CoB
Posting period: 08 August 2018
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation.