IOM is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society.
As the leading international organization for migration, IOM acts with its partners in the international community to:
- Assist in meeting the growing operational challenges of migration management,
- Advance understanding of migration issues,
- Encourage social and economic development through migration, and
- Uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants.
IOM's Strategic Focus
- To provide secure, reliable, flexible, and cost-effective services for persons who require international migration assistance.
- To enhance the humane and orderly management of migration and the effective respect for the human rights of migrants in accordance with international law.
- To offer expert advice, research, technical cooperation, and operational assistance to States, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, and other stakeholders, in order to build national capacities and facilitate international, regional, and bilateral cooperation on migration matters.
- To contribute to the economic and social development of States through research, dialogue, design and implementation of migration-related programmes aimed at maximizing migration's benefits.
- To support States, migrants, and communities in addressing the challenges of irregular migration, including through research and analysis into root causes, sharing information, and spreading best practices as well as facilitating development-focused solutions.
- To be a primary reference point for migration information, research, best practices, data collection, compatibility, and sharing.
- To promote, facilitate, and support regional and global debate and dialogue on migration, including through the International Dialogue on Migration, so as to advance understanding of the opportunities and challenges it presents, the identification and development of effective policies for addressing those challenges and to identify comprehensive approaches and measures for advancing international cooperation.
- To assist States to facilitate the integration of migrants in their new environment and to engage diasporas, including as development partners.
- To participate in coordinated humanitarian responses in the context of inter-agency arrangements in this field and to provide migration services in other emergency or post-crisis situations as appropriate and as relates to the needs of individuals, thereby contributing to their protection.
- To undertake programmes which facilitate the voluntary return and reintegration of refugees, displaced persons, migrants, and other individuals in need of international migration services, in cooperation with other relevant international organizations as appropriate, and taking into account the needs and concerns of local communities.
- To assist States in the development and delivery of programmes, studies, and technical expertise on combating migrant smuggling and trafficking in persons, in particular women and children, in a manner consistent with international law.
- To support the efforts of States in the area of labour migration, in particular short term movements, and other types of circular migration.
You can find more information on IOM worldwide activities on the global website www.iom.int