Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Internship Programme targets young, talented students and graduates willing to gain practical experience in a field relevant to the Organization through their involvement in daily working activities in migration-related and/or public international administration.
Internship – 1 position (AVRR – Assisted Voluntary Return ), SVN 03-12/18
Location : Sarajevo, BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
Application Deadline : 16.12.2018
Type of Contract : Internship
Post Level : Intern
Duration of Initial Contract: 3 Months (with possibility of extension, up to 6 months in total)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with everyday activities of Assisted voluntary return (AVRR) teams with particular focus on migrant counselling.
- Assist the AVRR team with implementation of the outreach strategy in order to create visibility that will enable the Programme to achieve its objectives.
- Providel support to the Operations manager in the day-to-day functioning of AVRR operational support in relations to AVRR activities.
- Provide any clerical assistance (drafting letters of correspondence, etc.) as necessary
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Chief of Mission. (The Intern shall in all duties and tasks work in accordance with relevant IOM policies and procedure, particularly the IOM Internship Instruction (IN/19 Rev )
Corporate Responsibility and Teamwork:
- Demonstrates commitment to IOMs mission, vision and values;
- Plans, prioritizes and delivers tasks on time;
- Strives for and promotes excellence in performance continually;
- Generates ideas and seizes opportunities to support project objectives.
- Recognizes and responds appropriately to the ideas, interests, and concerns of others;
- Respects individual/cultural differences.
Partnering and Networking:
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies.
- Plans and procedures quality results to meet established goals.
- Technical writing skills, formulates written information clearly and persuasively;
- Strong communication skills.
Job Knowledge and Expertise:
- Strong analytical skills;
- Executes day-to-day tasks systematically and efficiently;
- Initiative and sound judgment;
- Strong B/H/S and English language skills, both in written and oral
Required Skills and Experience
- Enrolled in a degree program (University or Master degree) in Economics, Public Administration, Political Science, Policy Studies, Sociology, Social Sciences, or related fields;
- BA and MD are considered an advantage;
- No previous experience is necessary;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English and official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina are required;
- Strong, particularly MS Office and the web-editing applications.
The intern will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in in-house training opportunities as applicable;
- Learn the structure, mechanisms, policies and practice areas of IOM;
- Participate in dedicated trainings and IOM online learning tools;
- Strengthen his/her effective writing.
Terms and conditions
- IOM internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship, however, interns will have monthly subsistence allowance and will gain valuable insight into IOM and a global network;
- IOM only accepts interns for a minimum of 6 weeks and a maximum of 6 months;
- Interns are expected to work full time but flexibility is allowed for their education programme;
- The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
- The purpose of the Internship Programme is not to lead to further employment with IOM but to complement an intern’s studies. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of an internship.
- Interns are not staff members and may not represent IOM in any official capacity.
How to Apply
The candidate should apply by submitting his/her CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submission of the applications is 16.12.2018.