Position Title : National Consultant
Duty Station : Bosnia and Herzegovina
Classification : Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, 70 work days in a period June – November
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 June 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Mission in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), in cooperation with the Ministry for Human Rights and Refugees of BiH (MHRR) is looking for a National Consultant to conduct a comprehensive mapping of the BiH diaspora under the Lead International Consultant. This activity is part of the project “Mainstreaming the Concept on Migration and Development into Relevant Policies, Plans and Actions in BiH: Diaspora for Development (D4D)” implemented over the period 2016-2020. The project is supported by the Government of Switzerland and implemented by UNDP and IOM, in partnership with the MHRR of BiH.
Official estimates state that the total number of people originating from Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) residing outside of the country is approximately 2 million. Most of them retain a strong emotional, financial, and familial connection with BiH. They are also well integrated and better off than other migrant communities in their host countries, with potential and willingness to contribute to the development of their homeland. However, government interaction with the diaspora is sporadic and unstructured. Diaspora groups are rarely included or consulted in the design of policies or decision-making processes. Hence, the valuable intellectual capital and other potential contribution of diaspora, which can help to address challenges or promote BiH globally, remains largely untapped. Against this background, the overall goal of the newly-launched D4D Project is to increase socio-economic opportunities and perspectives for women and men in BiH, and to improve their livelihoods through increased diaspora engagement. This will be attained through achieving three specific outcomes:
(1) Ministry of Human Rights and Refugees and Ministry of Foreign Affairs of BiH, in cooperation with government institutions at different levels, use and further develop their instruments to actively connect, exchange, and engage with diaspora members and organizations.
(2) Municipalities align their development strategies to the BiH Diaspora Strategy, provide more and better services to diaspora members, and encourage community initiatives to attract diaspora know-how and investment.
(3) Diaspora partners transfer know-how and skills and make joint investments with private sector actors in BiH, thus creating new jobs.
Proposed methodology for Diaspora mapping
In the context of D4D Project, the IOM Mission in BiH in cooperation with the MHRR of BiH, will undertake a comprehensive mapping of the BiH diaspora in ten selected destination countries: Australia, Austria, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United States of America. The overall objective of the mapping is to provide an overview of the socio-economic profile of the BiH diaspora in the selected destination countries, including demographic, sociological, economic and socio-cultural data. A specific focus will be put on mapping the socio-economic and professional aspects (e.g. diaspora members as businesses owners or leaders; in managerial or expert positions; in research and academia; in professions or business sectors where there is a demand in BiH for expertise and where diaspora experts with an interest and capacity to invest and/or contribute to development of BiH through transfer of knowledge can engage). In addition to the economic and socio-economic aspects, the mapping will examine diaspora members’ attitudes towards BiH and BiH institutions; their migration history and patterns; their path towards, and current level of integration; and their past and current bond to BiH.
Based on the diaspora mapping findings, a set of recommendations will be produced to be used by relevant BiH policy makers to improve interactions and cooperation with the BiH diaspora, and create policies and conditions that will make it attractive and favourable for the BiH diaspora to contribute to the development of their home country. The results of the diaspora mapping will be used for establishment of the know-how transfer mechanism and the crowd-sourcing platform, as well as diaspora engagement for economic development.
The mapping will be conducted in the 10 selected destination countries coordinated by a Lead International Expert, who will be supported by four International Consultants based in the selected destination countries and one National Consultant based in BiH, local IOM missions and diaspora associations as well as the BiH embassies and consulates. The total duration of the assignment is 70 work days over a period June– November 2017. The National Consultant will support the four International Consultants, who will make use of their existing contacts to the diaspora associations and individuals in diaspora, and the ones which the National Consultants, IOM missions, the MHRR and BiH embassies can provide, to prepare and set up field visits in the selected destination countries assigned to them. Also during the field visits, the National Consultant will assist and facilitate the communication with the diaspora associations to organize the survey which will be available online and for face to face interviews with individual members of the BiH diaspora (to be conducted with the help of diaspora associations volunteers), set up and arrange for focus group interviews, in-depth key-informant interviews which will then be performed by the international consultants with Bosnian officials and officials in each destination country and key figures of the BiH diaspora community. The diaspora mapping exercise will collect information about the number and profile of members of the BiH diaspora, with a special focus on recent youth emigrating from BiH, and map and obtain information of diaspora organisations and key individuals in the 10 selected destination countries. The mapping will provide both a synthesised overview of the findings from all countries and country by country overviews.
Overall, the mapping exercise will help to identify concrete target groups for the targeted implementation of project activities and come up with identification of viable project partners for future diaspora programming activities. The mapping will further make recommendations for BiH institutions to improve strategies and modalities for communication and outreach to the BiH diaspora with the overall purpose to identify, target and attract the highly-skilled diaspora to invest, or in other ways contribute to the development of BiH, as for example through temporary return, transfer of knowledge/skills, crowdsourcing etc.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Tangible and measurable outputs of the work assignment for the National Consultant
1) Support a team of International Consultants in preparing their work plans for their mapping exercises in the respective countries, assist with contacting with the diaspora associations, help with organising the meetings and interviews;
2) Prepare a draft chapter on recent emigration from BiH with focus on youth and highly skilled emigration to the Lead International Consultant and four International Consultants for the final report;
3) Make necessary translations of the materials related to diaspora mapping from English to local language and vice versa;
4) Assist the Lead International Consultant and four International Consultants in any other task related to diaspora mapping assigned.
Proposed time frame and deadlines
The consultancy is expected to last for 70 working days within the period from June 2017 to November 2017.
The consultant will submit the following deliverables to IOM, complying with the Consultancy Timeframe deadlines:
- Chapter on recent emigration from BiH with focus on youth emigration – 1st draft, September 4th ,
- Chapter on recent emigration from BiH with focus on youth emigration survey – final version, September 8th
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Advanced degree in economics, demography, sociology, migration or related areas relevant for the assignment;
• Other formal education relevant for the assignment is an advantage;
• Experience in social research, particularly migration;
• Proven experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis in the field of migration;
• Proven experience in producing analytical reports in migration related fields;
• Previous experience in conducting international comparative research, particularly diaspora surveys and cooperation with diaspora organisations is an advantage;
• Experience in analyses of youth emigration is an advantage;
• Good knowledge of BiH diaspora in the selected countries of destination;
• Good knowledge of the migration and development concept, diaspora and remittance themes;
• Experience in working with international organizations and UN agencies is an asset.
Fluency in one of the official languages of BiH (spoken and written) is required;
Fluency in English (spoken and written) is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
Candidates with the required qualifications are invited to submit the following as an attachment:
- Narrative proposal as per the enclosed Terms of Reference, in particular on the research on youth emigration and a work plan for working on both – the logistic support of the team of consultants and the research.
- The offer, comprising of a narrative proposal as well as personal CV including relevant professional experience and expertise and contact details (e-mail addresses).
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 01.06.2017 to 16.06.2017